Wednesday 4 November 2015

Honesty is the best policy (just another rant)

In the bodies writhing amidst ostentatious, smelly, firecrackery smoke;  in the kid clicking a selfie with another bunch of kids in the food court; in this girl on the next table shrieking over  god knows what with the most stupid, attention seeking  expression on her face that I have seen in a while, there is just one thing common. Pretense. Somehow the youth of today can’t seem to get over themselves. Failed a class? Well, who cares. Tripped a handicap lately? Maybe, I wasn’t looking. Put someone down because your ego couldn’t handle it?

This monologue is not just a piece of bigotry, it is also condescending and demeaning in case these people missed it. That is assuming some of them read, you know, the smart ones. It has been a long long time since I wrote anything thinking well, live and let live. Told myself, being cynical all the time ain’t that good for the general outlook towards life. But WOW. I think I can safely say this country is done producing the Tagores and Kalams for a while. The challenge for women these days is seemingly the infamous thigh-gap situation, or this contouring business. I don’t know what is going on in the boy sphere. Is it misunderstanding and smashing  feminism? Or is it having high beauty standards that they need to live up to. I don’t know. Understand this, I am not disrespecting anyone who has had a meaningful conversation or an honest moment lately. Just all the other ones. Gender doesn’t even begin to matter here. It’s about mental capacity and how people are using it. I feel physically sick when I see pretentiousness ; acting like how is socially deemed cool, bragging about the sloppiness in day to day life, being obnoxious, not being conscious of the human presence that is seemingly invisible to your quirks. Again, I don’t mean to impose opinions on people. Just wish that this might hurt/offend someone enough to start thinking. To ACTUALLY start thinking about the things that do matter. This is not a question of personal choice. The argument that ‘things that matter to me might not matter to you’ is fucking redundant because COME ON I am fairly positive uploading a picture on facebook saying ‘#FCFUN’ is the new translation of ‘lookie here, although I think I'm smart, all I want to do is say that I matter because some people agreed to click a demeaning picture with my sorry self’ and it doesn’t matter. AT ALL.

But YOU matter, little kid. You need to understand that your worth is so much more than people, so much more than getting noticed for being loud. Someday you are going to wake up without friends. Someday you will be invisible to that girl/boy you like. Someday you might feel pudgy for having eaten unhealthy. But all that is OK because none of that is going to define your self-worth. None of that will dictate how you will be treated in society. The only person who will do that is YOU. If you disrespect yourself, people (like me) are going to disrespect you and someday feel so nauseous about your pretentiousness that they will have to write about you. Please don’t be that kid, be honest with yourself, do something real. Run, love, get your heart broken, FEEL something, talk about curing diseases, dance, swim, anything. This sounds preachy, but it is just that. We were taught ‘honesty is the best policy’ in moral science for the single reason of it being the statement to live by.

Open your eyes and realise that you are beautiful, man and woman alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment